Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The Inner Circle

The Inner Circle is about every person who has ever wanted to belong. It is about the desires we all have and the cliques that form because of these desires. Lewis says, "One of the most dominant elements [of life] is the desire to be inside the local Ring and the terror of being left outside." Some people will go to huge extremes to not be left on the outside. They will compromise what they know about themselves to become who they think they need to be to fit in.

I think all of us, at some point in our lives, have been on the inner circle or at least tried to get there. But how often do all of our efforts pay off? How often are we happy once we reach "inner circle status"? Throughout elementary and middles school I was always jealous of the "popular crowd" because I was just a normal nobody. The think I failed to realize at the time was that I was in a clique of my own. It just wasn't the clique I wanted to be a part of. I had four best friends but I didn't think they were anything glamorous...

When high school started I began to branch out and make new friends. I joined showchoir and tried to find my niche there. Lewis says, "Until you conquer the fear of being an outsider, an outsider you will remain." I learned the meaning of this statement my senior year of high school. When I looked around at all of my "friends" I realized that the only one I could count on was one of the four I had known since elementary school. I stopped caring about being in the inner circle and started caring about finding myself. My senior year turned into the best year of high school. I learned so much about myself and my friends and I soon got over the "fear" of being and "outsider".

No comments:

Post a Comment